Learn, Share, and Grow with Beth Hamon, our Scholar-in-Residence on the theme “The power of story in realizing your Jewish path.” Please RSVP at http://bit.ly/tbescholar2016 by Friday, November 4th. Or contact Aleeza Hoffert email@example.com or 608-238-3123
BETH HAMON is a teacher, artist, musician and bicycle mechanic living in Portland Oregon, who came into her Judaism later in life. Not long after joining a synagogue community for the first time, she was recruited to teach there and her Jewish journey blossomed further. Her journey continues today, and she looks forward to sharing with us.
All events take place at Temple Beth El, 2702 Arbor Drive, Madison, except the Open House & House Concert on Sunday. That will take place at the home of David and Aleeza Hoffert. RSVP for the address at http://bit.ly/tbescholar2016
Friday, Nov 11:
Journeying in Partnership with God
- 5:45 pm—Family Fridays Shabbat
- 6:30 pm—Congregational Shabbat Dinner
- 7:30 pm—Shabbat evening service with remarks from Beth Hamon
Saturday, Nov 12:
Journeying in Partnership with the Self
- 10:00 am—Torah Study – “Lech Lecha” We’ll take a deeper look the journey of Abraham and Sarah, what changed, what stayed the same. How can our journey be impacted by their journeys?
- 11:30 am—Kiddush Lunch
- 12:30 pm—Meditation “Time is an illusion; you can carve it up any way you want”
- Come sit and ponder the uses of time as they relate to our journeys. Suitable for teens and. Please wear comfortable clothes. Optionally you can bring a cushion or pad to sit on, chairs will be available. This will a thought exercise, not a physical one.
Sunday, Nov 13:
Journeying in Partnership with Community
- 9:45 am—Brunch & Keynote “Story-In-Song” —$12/person
How did the daughter of ferociously secular musicians become a Shabbat-observant, Judaism loving teacher and musician? Beth Hamon will share her story with us. How did she find her doorway into Jewish community? What made her decided to stay? What challenges does she face living life according to Jewish rhythms and in a communal context? How did she take the best pieces of herself forward and transmit them in Jewish ways? Beth will include original songs in the story of her life.
- 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm—Open House and House Concert
Home of David and Aleeza Hoffert (RSVP for Address)
Enjoy an intimate encounter with Beth Hamon as we end our weekend together. Ask her questions, and enjoy her music. Light nosh will be provided. Beth will be selling her CDs and pieces of her Judaic art here. Please note she can only accept cash or check. Beth will begin playing around 1:00 pm.
Sponsor: Temple Beth El